Monday, January 4, 2010

Running

I fled town & immediately felt relaxed as I drove away. My kids went to their dad's for 8 days after Christmas & if I stayed home I would've kept busy for sure, that's what kind of mind occupies my body. I'd have engaged in whatever "thing" was right in front of me: cleaning Christmas mess, purging some the toy room (but not finished it), organizing & filing somethings, facebooking, emailing. But I didn't want to do more of that stuff. I wanted to drive. Driving makes me thankful for my family & friends & I usually call them as I reminisce to catch up & tell them I'm grateful.

I went to visit my dear friend Joan up in Mendocino. She set me up on a running date, a very thoughtful thing to do for me, knowing I love to run & she doesn't. Within a minute of running with her friend, her dog stopped to poop. "Oh man I'm jealous!" She smiled & laughed out loud how her morning coffee hadn't "moved" her yet either.

It reminded me of when I started to run with my marathon training buddy. She was as beautiful a girl as I'd ever been friends with; gorgeous teeth, skin, nails, makeup & hair, wore pearls & beautiful clothing, kept her home & car immaculate. Within a month of 2x weekly running/talking we were hacking, spitting, snorting & farmer johning side by side. The second month as the runs got longer, we were peeing & pooping trail side.

I usually run alone, but having a running buddy reminds me not to judge anyone by their looks.  I gotta go when I gotta go!  And it helps make room for more treats when I get done running!

1 comment:

  1. I'll think of you next time I do a farmer johning on a run:)

    ReplyDelete