Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Naked


My small town, although abundant with road & mountain bikers, is not swimmer friendly. There is no lap pool.  So, twice a month I drive 40 minutes & pay to swim in the next big town's lap pool. 
 
Feeling confident, I joined in a "workout lane." I hit my anaerobic threshold pace just to keep up in the warm-up portion, which wasn't a good sign, but I committed to what I started.  I fell behind every 400 yards we swam, my arms ached, I was impressed with their consistent speed, I felt humbled.  In the end, even though I was lapped multiple times, they all socialized with me & hoped I'd come back.  As we walked to the shower room my lack of confidence was about to be trumped by my lack of planning.   I'd forgotten a towel.  I'd have no choice but to pat myself off with some paper towels. 

The great thing about womens shower/locker rooms is that everyone is naked; skin & hair & bones, in front of lots of other naked shapes & sizes.  Naked women make eye contact & smile, maybe it's the endorphins kicking in since we've all just exercised, who knows.  But we were all there to feel cold, invigorated, challenged, exerted, proud, then hungry.  And that may be the main reason I exercise, I love apple fritters.

3 comments:

  1. Apple fritters? Who knew we had the common love of the fritter! Swim on strong one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was JUSt going to say...do you know a SarahE???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Deb! I feel so bad because I started my own blog (kernnslibrary.blogspot.com) and decided since I'd gone to all that trouble I should uploaded a picture for "Mystery Que" only to find out that now I am counted as 2 people under the number of followers you have. I'm stumped. I tried to delete the "Mystery Que" with no picture and it won't let me get rid of it. If anyone out there knows how to solve this problem let me know so Deb can have a true count for her goal. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete