Thursday, February 4, 2010

Crash & Learn

The morning was fast - kids to school, run for exercise, bank, pack, check-in online & print boarding pass, then airport bound to Vegas by 10:45am.  As I drove to the airport a "center-yellow-line RE-painting" truck headed towards me, hanging a few feet into my side of the highway.  Suddenly I plunged forward as I was rear ended. Miscellaneous console crap bumped to the ground around my feet.  Reeling with adrenaline, I impulsively swerved into the vacant oncoming traffic lane & missed hitting the truck in front of me.  SHIT!  I'm going to miss my flight! 

I've never been in a car accident until this.  I was surprised how jittery I felt, like ants crawling under every inch of my body.  I shakily ch
ecked my rear bumper, wow, barely any damage, just a few scratches & a busted trailer plug... I think my tow hitch saved me!  Then I glanced up & looked at the car behind me...hoooooooooly moly!  Their hood was smashed up to their windshield, car scrap metal scattered the highway like a garage sale & the driver & passenger were hidden behind airbags.  In disbelief I pushed & pulled on my bumper & looked underneath my car.  Go Volvo!!!!
Class III Receiver Hitch
2 ambulances later loading in 3 other people, I felt no worse than I did after competing in Wipeout.  And luckily the Highway Patrol officer was amazingly efficient with paperwork; I was the first to be released.  

I arrived at the airport, miraculously found a parking spot within 10 seconds & charged directly for the moving security belt (checking in on-line had never proven so handy until now).  I was the last to board, my insides stirring like a swarm of bees. 

Today as I write this I'm relieved & glad to be reminded how lucky I am.  My life is full, one adventurous day leapfrogging the next.  

1 comment:

  1. Hey, there, your new url was not showing up on my blogger roll, so had to ask L for it. happy friday!

    ReplyDelete